Monday, April 11, 2005

New Wave Dyke, the one I like!



I stumbled across a little gem of a CD at the Alternative Press Expo this weekend in San Francisco. Althought this show mainly features printed zines and indie comics, sometimes there are CDs for sale. Fortunately I purchased New Wave Dyke, who released a cryptic twelve song CD that was just called "Songs". New Wave Dyke is made up of one Ian D. Piirtola, or so says my CD cover. According to his website, he is a design student at the University of Hotlanta (Atlanta?), and he only ownes two Paul Mcartney album and one SPARKS album. I am really glad about the Sparks connection, because I wrote about them last week and that makes this eerie... My favoriate song from the CD is Happy Birthday, Maria which is also available for downoad from his website. It is a little discopunk ballad with some high pictched "Make-Upesque" vocals. The instrumentation seems pretty basic except for a some synth and space sounnds at the beginning. Unfortunately, the song is a little too short for my tastes at 1:44 minutes. However the sound quality is low-fi enough to dance to on cassette. You can purchase the album from New Wave Dyke by emailing him (I think it costs $2.00). He released a five song EP called "You Ruin My Trip Again and I'll Ruin Your Face" but, that was not the one I purchased.

New Wave Dyke also has a song on the exciting Teenbeat tribute album, Relax Brother, Relax: A Twentieth Anniversary Tribute to Teenbeat Records [MMM025] This album is available for download in .flac of mp3. There are a number of excellent songs on the album, a little layered indie anti-loveballad I like is Yo, Yo, Yo {Originally by +/-} performed by Scrabbel. The song is simple asnd sweet, in the vein of yo la tengo and the Microphones. They are a local, SF band, which formed in 1999 after the band members went to see Sonic Youth, Looper, Sleater Kinney, The Boredoms and others at what I assume was a show I attended - "This Ain't No Picnic" in LA. Thier website has a few mp3s to listen to, I recommend checking them out!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger

Statistics