Tuesday, September 07, 2004

The Unicorns



I thought is was just about time to give credit to the only known Unicorn titled band in indie music, the Canadian pop group, The Unicorns. This band has a penchant for dark lyrics and up beat melodies. This is foreshadowed by the title of their recent album, "Who Will Cut Our Hair When We Are Gone." This little collection features some superbly gothic lyrics:
"I want to die today, and make love with you in your grave."
frankly I believe that this band really understands the darker side of magic and the value of impermanence. These are not the usual pink, glittery, smiling, Lisa-Frank Unicorns. The Unicorns I have been listening to are going to eat us all. My favorite track, Les Os Is a marvelous example of the strange mix of quirky lyrics and organized noise, reminiscent of Neutral Milk Hotel. Although the NMH is a bit more somber and emotional, I feel like the combinations of spacey sounds and earthy textures links the two bands. Also NMH has lyrics which enfold you like strange memories of flying fish..
"And your mom would stick a fork right into daddy's shoulder
And your dad would throw the garbage all across the floor
As we would lay and learn what each other's bodies were for"
Both enact images of love and violence. I like that, because, well I do.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger

Statistics