Monday, August 23, 2004

Born Under a Phone Star




The day I was born, Blondie's song "Call Me" was the no.1 hit in both England and the US. I feel that that fact has colored my taste in music, fashion, and technology. I have a serious infatuation with pop ballads that include some technical lingo and or communication topics. I like bands that reassign meaning to technology which might otherwise go ignored. Why think of phones as sterile? Computers are people too... OK, OK I know that her song Call Me is about a relationship, and not a phone, but I am trying to draw some cosmic links between the content of my blog, and the song of my birth. Or something.

The Units of Measure are A'Moving


To carry on with this technological theme, I am presenting you with the best new "I am referencing the talking heads band" to appear on the scene since The Rapture. I think that this band really embraces the punk slash no wave elements of sound, while remaining somewhat disaffected (which is always scientific). Never-mind that they always use disco drums and distorted vocals, the mood they create is catchy and raw, it takes up the gap that the ever growing corporate movement of bands like Interpoland The Rapture are leaving. Interpol was once a darker edgy band and their latest single, "Evil" sounds like well.. it sounds kinda like surf pop. And the Rapture, bless their hearts, are putting out songs like "Sister Saviour" which is gay club music... Nothing against house music, I love the electro slash disco punk vibe, but sometimes you just want to listen to a dirty little rock ballad.

That is where The Moving Units come in and provide me with songs like Between Us and Them. I can't but help imagining myself Rocking Out hard when i hear this song and every other song on their four song EP. I mean FOR REAL, check them out!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogger

Statistics